Tuesday, March 23, 2010

NYC: Saturday Evening

I drove up to NYC this weekend, here's part one that I wrote that weekend: 



Evening, Saturday. I'm exhausted. After a four hour drive, we're in Brooklyn.

*Note, the four hour drive up was preceeded by my four hour ride on Homeride from Virginia to Maryland. I had only figured out at 12 noon that my home bound bus was to leave at 2:30, my last class ended at 1:10, and I hadn't packed yet.

The cashier ringing me up informed me that 2:30 p.m. was the only Homeride that was leaving. I must have looked shocked, normally that's a 4:30 option.

"Does that work for you?" She asked.

"It has to work" (Obviously!) Now I'm here.




So here I am in Brooklyn after consuming the most delicious Chinese food I've had in quite some time. You might say: "SF get a life. Chinese food is nothing to get excited about", well think again mister, this food was well seasoned and...

 SO INCREDIBLY TASTY!

My aunt knew exactly what to order for me. It was an excellent mix of tofu and vegetables stir fried in some sort of chili sauce accompanied by white rice. About that rice, why is it so incredibly necessary to fill over 45% of the container with WHITE RICE? I haven't had white rice in quite some time. Honestly, it's a waste of calories to spend on bland, tasteless WHITE RICE. And to think I once craved it? Yikes!

"Where are we headed, what's the physical address?" I looked up for two seconds from my meal. I'd gone back for seconds and I must have looked really hungry. 

"Just tell me when you're done? Aright?" Tia told me. I guess her title needs some explanation. In my culture, your aunt or any female figure of authority familiar to your family is called "Tia" (the Spanish for "Aunt") as a sign of respect.

"Muaumahumm. Okah." I nodded and covered my mouth as I frantically tried to get to my inbox on my phone to pull up the email with Ginny's physical address.

Crap. I get updates from the Washington Post in my inbox all the time and the email I needed was backlogged so far back in my inbox (from only a week ago) that I couldn't pull it up on my phone. I proceeded to try and hack into an unsecured  wireless network on my laptop. All 20 or more of them were password protected. I texted my brother who may or may not be in MCAT prep class at this point. I didn't risk calling, even in my desperate state.

"You find it yet? Huh?" Tia ventured to ask again. I had finished eating and I had a wild look in my eye. I suppose she could sense trouble. Even though I had already told my family that one of my best friends, a transportation aficionado, had assured me that my trip from Brooklyn to the Upper East Side would require us to ride the 6 train at some point, they still wanted to make sure.

8:30 (240): "You sent me a text"
(240): "Yes, I really need your help, are you near a computer?" My brother would help me. I'm very blessed to have a pretty cool brother.

Good job, it was the 6 train. I smiled broadly at the realization that my friend was right. Suffice it to say that he's not even form New York and really knows what's up. Now mother will talk about it for weeks.


 Manhattan, I'll be there on Sunday! Too foggy for a decent picture!




Verrazano Bridge, here we come! : )

Well, my ride up constituted of taking pictures, so now I have to get some work done. And beauty rest has to happen sometime before tomorrow...

Until soon much love,

<3 SF

P.S. I was incredibly grateful that my food didn't show the following day! On to a fitting!