Tuesday, April 10, 2012

"I am NOT putting my pants on until I know that place exists"

 Casting, Casting. One Will Bite...
I'm not especially well versed in the art of fishing, but the more you cast your line out (also considering things like, are you angling for the right fish with the right bait) the more likely you are to land a catch.

Well, let's just say that's how I approach castings, and this past weekend I auditioned for a role with the House of Cards starring Kevin Spacey. Neat huh? Well let's juust say I was floored :)

So last week I rushed to get all of my work done and pulled 2 all nighters to finish my assignments and stay ahead for the next week.

Mom never lets me go to castings alone or with friends, I mean who will be my getaway driver in case things get creepy?

Actually they did once. Things, getting creepy. Drama aside, I may or may not have died. Likely the latter...

DEPARTURE FROM PRESENT STORY TO TELL A RELEVANT ANECDOTE:
So my Sophomore year I took a semester off to run for Miss Maryland, go to Panama for a few weeks to work on some nonprofit stuff with some kids over there! And once, I had a modeling gig with an address that led us into a suburban wasteland where an abandoned house stood at the end of a cul-de-sac with the shades drawn and no cars in the driveway.. We reasoned that this was either a murder heist or a sick joke.

So we set out early, with the promise of D.C. streets and a questionably South East address "Mom, I used to work near Eastern Market, it's pretty cool out there" I reassured my driver, Mom strongly dislikes driving in D.C.

At first, we couldn't find the address, apparently the 900 block didn't have a 921 on Pennsylvania Avenue. I'd just had my outfit dry-cleaned (which included my favorite White House/Black Market trousers).

"I am NOT putting my pants on until I know that place exists"
I said. That sounds like a perfectly risque tweet.
But I saved it for this post. When I'm en route to a casting I usually don't wear in the car what I'm going to wear to the casting, just so I look fresh and fantastic.

So In the car and stalked who was wearing what and going where. The casting asked for sophisticated and chic I thought to myslef, that's me. I've got this one in the bag!And most of the guys were asked to wear suits,and there was a church right around the corner. So my reasoning was, if we could follow where the sophisticated individuals were going, well then, we'd find our locale

After smart-phoning my way to an answer, I realized that the press release announcing the casting indeed labeled the locale as well as it's name, the hilltop house? Hill house? No Idea.

The line had already filled up, numbering about 200. On my way, a woman of advanced age (probably twice my own) slowed her careening vehicle to a stop beside me on the sidewalk

"YO GIRL, you should probably put summa you flat shoes on. Datsa long-ass line."

Yo girl...flat shoes...long-ass? I smiled to avoid the puzzled expression that may or may not have begun to overwhelm my features. Flats. No. I waited in line with my five inch heels and flash cards for my test Tuesday. I mumbled as I read them in turn.

A young man, about my height in my towering shoes, asked:
"Are you preparing for a monologue?"
"I have a test Tuesday"
"Ah, I didn't know if this would be a cold read or not?" I smiled curtly and resumed my activity. How and why would you need a monologue if you're being cast as an extra in a film? Help me with this?

2 HOURS OF LISTENING TO THAT GUY TALK TO HIMSELF LATER:

I reach the casting table. A middle aged man accepted my paperwork:
"Well how are you today?"
"Absolutely wonderful! You?"
"I imagine, I'm always wonderful when I have a pretty girl to look at" 
-___- Yeah, mhhmm....Alrighty then...
He laughed absentmindedly and continued, perusing the sheet further: "Ahh, let's see here, You're Mia and--you're actually twenty-two hunh"
"Yes, I'm actually twenty-two" I threw my head back with wild abandon. This was like a Mexican standoff trivia session to figure out my life story.
"Then what's your birthday. Day, month, and year!" Wait, what? Why would I lie and say I'm 22 if I'm like, 18?  So old, I am.

"You go to Tech huh? Smart girl. Well, go in there and take your picture."
Where I met a Ryan Gosling look- alike, a casting director, and a friendly photographer.

Casting, Casting. One Will Bite. Let's see how this goes...

The Fashionista