Sunday, May 1, 2011

Adolfo and Tiziana Dominguez Meet the Fashion Blogger

What do you do when you combine wine, good  fabulously dressed friends, and wonderful company?

My kind of party, or Cocktail hour with Adolfo Dominguez. let's just say I almost didn't make it because of a traffic jam on I-81 and a prolonged hair appointment. Let's just say my hair stylist was one of the many things I wish i could have taken to college with me, undoubtedly. Needless to say, I was fabulously late and awesomely dressed. My friend who runs the Chevy Chase location was more than ecstatic to see me "Ah, you're here! You must meet Adolfo!"
Yes, yes...of course: I thought, undoubtedly!
We looked, and looked and looked above the racks of clothes and thinning crowd.  You'd think with my 6 inch heels and 5'7" frame, I'd be able to spot the designer in the relatively cozy boutique. We finally spotted him entertaining a small crowd. At this point, knowing Spanish would have been relatively helpful.

"Well hellooo!" he said, in affected English.
"Hello Adolfo, this is Mia, a journalist who is very important to or store." My friend warmly introduces us.
"Yes hello, good to meet you," he said, while silently surveying my figure. "You are very beautiful--and very tall" while taking in my height. I smiled contemplatively and could hear my heart beating in my ears. [Thud, thud, thud!] Wonderful. Pull yourself together Mia. You just met Adolfo Dominguez, no big.






Now it's time to meet his daughter, Tiziana Dominguez currently the Creative Director for the company
and next in line to take over for her father. A similar introduction proceeded me, and she warmly greeted me "Ah in Spain we do 2 kisses on either cheek." I suppose it was ironic she had mistaken me for a model and thought I had been hired to wear their line, but alas, not today.  :)

"It's so good to meet you! Come, I want to show you what I've been working on." She led me to the front end of the store with a rack housing a litany of options all of eco-friendly materials, geared toward the urban, hip generation. Tiziana remarked quite on point that there is a market for eco-freindly products in the United States, especially when you see things like 100% recycled napkins and Adolfo Domiguez asa brand has been continually committed to the environment.






"My sister designed the dog accessories.--So Mia, what do you do? Tell me about you." Standard response: my year in school, Comm major, social networker, blogger: the works. Somehow, we swapped emails with a promise to get coffee the next time we were both in town.

With a promise to stay in touch with my new Spanish friend and a mound of make-up work to account for, I hurried on my way back to university. :)