Monday, April 4, 2011

I finally organized a fashion show. Long overdue :)

It's about time? Yes, it's about time that I threw my own fashion show. Let's just say that my friends at Chantilly Lace were the ULTIMATE LIFESAVERS and let me borrow over $ 2,000 worth of merchandise overnight!





Wow.

At first, the coordinator emailed me about 2 months ahead of time, offering me the opportunity to model for the intermission show. My immediate response, without question was a resounding yes. Or maybe it was "ABSOLUTELY" or something more expressive perhaps, but I digress. SO, I arrive at the first meeting excited, and cramming it in between 2 other meetings, I had no idea what to expect. Expect the unexpected little Soufa.

So as a reasult of that meeting, I was to organize a short 15 min segment to showcase fashions of a style yet to be determined. Fortunately, I already had a list of models to work with. Nonetheless I had a little over a month to outfit 5-9 models in whatever clothing I could muster up.

Ok, THINK THINK THINK...who could I count on to trust me with their merchandise...hmm. I've worked with the fashion organization on campus who regularly works with a boutique downtown where I've dropped $200 on a dress that I've never worn out. Buyer's remorse much? I've paid less for higher quality brands and mother, who I swear should be a professional shopper, to this day continues to wag her finger at my purchase. Sorry mum.

So I thought I could borrow clothes from them right? Not really. After a half-hearted reply and an unreplied email later, I was up the creek and two weeks out from the fashion show, one of which was Spring Break.

Bummer.
SO that meant that I had to secure clothing for the show in less than a week. But I certainly did have a back up plan.

After a long-winded daily phone conversation with my mother, I remembered I was pretty close to the owner at Chantilly Lace, a bridal store on Main Street. Worst case scenario of Marla didn't say no, I could have my friends from White House Black Market ship something over.  It's good to have friends.

I put off calling for 2 days. One excuse after another propelled my procrastination and finally, the Wednesday before break arrived. You can do this, you can do this. You've interviewed them before and hung out with the staff at several bridal shows. You can do this, you can do this... Sometimes--ok, most of the time, I have to pshych myself up.

I finally called, she was at her other store and would be back later for a fitting. Well, I thought, I'll just stop by later at her jewelry store downtown, but my class schedule and timing facilitated me calling.

To make a long story short, I asked if I could borrow dresses and the answer was a resounding yes. I was credited for having the gift of gab, but I credit my unwavering commitment to professionalism and tact.

So, I arranged for the girls to come in and try on anything they wanted in the store, granted they were allotted 2 dresses to set aside  for borrowing, in case their first preference sold. So we had loads of fun trying them on and of course I had to take pictures:


Absolutely delicious! :) 


Hrm, viable options here! So many beautiful gowns! 



Photo credit: Mia S.

So the big day arrived, and the models had a fabulous time trolling up and down the stage in gorgeous gowns and I was grateful to have worked with such poised and beautiful young women. Of course this is only a preview of what is to come. Be prepared for the awesomeness to follow in the fall of 2011!


Backstage, before the show! SO much anticipation!
Photo Credit: Mia S.

 








 Photo Credit: Chloe Q.



Be ready.

Much Love,
<3 SouFa